Tuesday, July 12, 2016

SBBI coming back

For never explained reasons, Morningstar discontinued publishing the Ibbotson SBBI Yearbook this year.  When I called them to order my copy and learned this, I said, "I am certainly sorry that Morningstar bought the rights to this book, only to abandon it!"

I was not the only complainer. This email arrived today:

Dear SBBI Customer:When we discontinued the Ibbotson SBBI Classic Yearbook earlier this year, many of you contacted us to express your displeasure about losing this valuable resource. In response to your feedback, we have partnered with Duff & Phelps to continue to make the yearbook available in printed form. 
Duff & Phelps, which will compile the data and produce the book, will distribute the 2016 Stocks, Bonds, Bills, and Inflation (SBBI) Yearbook through Wiley, which publishes its other valuation titles. This book will release in August 2016, and future editions are expected.


I haven't yet decided whether to buy it, or wait for next year's edition.  It also will be distributed through Amazon and others.

Morningstar remains inscrutable.

5 comments:

JLM said...

I'm surprised it lasted this long.

Jim Gust said...

Why? The info is not conveniently available elsewhere, and it is valuable. The key, I think, is that Roger Ibbottson pushed hard to restore it--his name is in big letters on the cover of the new one.

JLM said...

Valuable, yes, but it seems like it should be digital, with controls allowing me to see and compare data for selected periods in chart form, plus other interactivity that I'm too old-fashioned to imagine. Meanwhile, I'll have to pass on the $185 print volume as I can no longer charge it to the company.

Jim Gust said...

They do have a digital service that they offered in place of the book. It was $500 or so. Unfortunately, it only included a part of the SBBI data--as I recall, it didn't have the bond returns.

Anonymous said...

Beautifully presented information here in your blog.I am really impressed from the wonderful writing.Keep it up!
wealth planning instrument